Landing pages are standalone web pages, distinct from your main website, that have been designed for a singular focused objective. The only goal would be to guide them to the intended conversion goal.
There are two basic types of landing pages – Click Through and Lead Capture.
Click Through pages aim at guiding the visitors to click on a link and navigate to another page. A typical example of such a landing page is a product detail page in e-commerce sites, and the objective would be to click on the ‘Add to cart’ action.
Lead Capture pages aim at capturing user details which can be used for future marketing and sales process. In return of the user details, there would be something in return for the visitor, that he would find valuable. Examples of such value would be white papers, E-Books, free trial, consultation for professional service, discount coupon/voucher, future product release notification, entry to a contest, newsletter sign-up or even a physical gift.
Let us look at 15 best practices to get the landing pages right, and maximize the chances of meeting the conversion goal:
- The landing page should have a single purpose.
- Every element on the page should align with the purpose of the landing page.
- The Call-to-action (CTA) should be large and located above the fold.
- Use directional hints such as arrows or pictures to direct attention to the Call-to-action (CTA).
- The primary headline should match the link or ad that brought them to the landing page.
- Display the image of the product/service relevant to the context.
- Video Content on the landing page is a very effective medium to improve the conversion.
- Use social indicators such as facebook likes, retweets or Google +1s to strengthen case of conversion.
- Language should be action oriented, and should be clear within 3 seconds to the visitor of what to expect on that page.
- Content should generate authenticity and trust. Add relevant third-party affiliations, certifications, customer testimonials and all appropriate contact details.
- Content should be brief and succinct. Use bullets to highlight specific points.
- For a Click Through landing page, include a offer/promotion/strong reason of WHY NOW?
- For Lead Capture page, describe how the offer (such as white paper) can add value to the visitor.
- Make sure the content has all On-page SEO elements optimized.
- Use A/B testing to try ideas.