Opt-In lists are mailing lists which consist of recipients who have given their email addresses and shown their willingness to receive emails from your business or service. They are an integral part of email marketing as the responses generated are much higher than the “Spray and Pray” email marketing campaigns. Also the chances of getting SPAM complaints are bleak, as the list contains only those recipients who have agreed to receive information. Another form of opt-in lists are the Double Opt-in lists, in which the recipients are required to confirm their subscription by clicking a link in the conformation email.
Opt-In lists are built over a period of time through various channels. Hence it requires a serious amount of planning and patience. Every visitor to your website is a probable lead and it’s a good idea to collect their approval right away. You never know when a one-time visitor could be converted to a valuable customer.
Following are some of the channels and ways to build opt-in lists:
- Adding a simple form on your homepage, product/services page or pages which attract the maximum visitors.
- For PPC campaigns, add the form to your landing pages.
- Trade shows, webinars and other events.
- Direct your sales/calling team to follow the practice of asking permission from prospects to enroll them for receiving information in emails. This is usually done during the closing part of the discussion.
- Brochures, Customer surveys and feedback forms.
- Use targeted approach and identify specific websites, search engines and other online places to display custom banners, forms and other tools to get registrations.
No matter what channels are used, utmost attention should be given to make the opt-in process simple and painless. Try to collect less information as possible, for starters just collect the email ids. Furthermore, the process of opt-in can be taken to the next level by providing prospects with the option of email preferences to enable them to set the type and category emails they wish to receive.
Email marketing performed on opt-in lists can boost your sales revenue, improve brand image and improve your ROI in the long run. In general opt-in lists:
- Improves email campaign effectiveness.
- Limits customer SPAM and other complaints.
- Increases conversion rates.
- Members can be directed to other platforms such as blogs and social media. This would directly improve business or organizations involvement with the prospect.
All marketers should build their own opt-in emailing list by trying to opt-in each visitor/customer who approaches or is being approached. So plan your opt-in list strategy to function as a continuous activity rather than a one-time activity.